• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Visual Studio for Mac... what a ****-show

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by _V_ View Post
    Mac OS is a toy for hipsters.
    LOL … have you seen any recent videos of Microsoft online conferences …. Or BUILD … for example? I swear most of the Microsoft guys use Macs now.

Comment

Originally posted by d000hg View Post
      Carved out an evening for a new coding project and needed to install VS, so thought I'd try the Mac version. Installed fine, looks nice... until I want to use version control. I've got a repo on GitHub but 4 hours later I've entered my password about 30 times, had VS delete my solution a couple of times, but can I get it to push... can I ****.
      I even managed to clone the remote repo on about the 15th attempt from VS, then created a new solution in that directory. Thought I'd cracked it. Until I come to push and now VS says it doesn't have any remotes to push to.

I don't see how it can be so bad. On Windows it works very smoothly. Integration with GitHub should be seamless, especially on Mac where they are presumably targeting users not so familiar. I've been using this stuff since Visual Studio 6 (20 years?) what chance does anyone else have!
      If you want to develop C sharp apps full stop … regardless of platform … use Jet Brains Rider IMHO …. It’s better than Visual Studio on Windows ….. never mind the pitiful attempt of VS on the Mac.

However, there are a few things it cannot do that VS can.

Alas … it also costs.
      Last edited by mogga71; 20 June 2021, 20:26.

Comment

Originally posted by mogga71 View Post

LOL … have you seen any recent videos of Microsoft online conferences …. Or BUILD … for example? I swear most of the Microsoft guys use Macs now.
        What the hell do you mean, Windows 11 is nothing like MacOS!

First Law of Contracting: Only the strong survive

Comment

Originally posted by _V_ View Post

What the hell do you mean, Windows 11 is nothing like MacOS!

In all seriousness though V ...what on earth is that? Just a mockup or was somebody really using it? It can't be from Microsoft as Windows 11 will never exist....or can it? Is it a Linux distro?

Comment

In all seriousness though V ...what on earth is that? Just a mockup or was somebody really using it? It can't be from Microsoft as Windows 11 will never exist....or can it? Is it a Linux distro?
            Windows 11 is due to be announced this week.

It's a rebrand of the next (Autumn 2021) Windows 10 release as it makes sense user interface changes to screw things up.
            Last edited by eek; 21 June 2021, 15:47.
            merely at clientco for the entertainment

Comment

Sounds like not much has changed other than they've refreshed some of the ugly flat UI.
              Originally posted by MaryPoppins
              I'd still not breastfeed a nazi
              Originally posted by vetran
              Urine is quite nourishing

Comment

https://www.theregister.com/2021/06/...eak_microsoft/
                Down with racism. Long live miscegenation!

Comment

I believe it is a real OS version from Microsoft, someone leaked the details.

Windows 11 is coming soon.
                  First Law of Contracting: Only the strong survive

Comment

Working...
                  X